To my fellow residents of Brookline:
I am asking for your vote for reelection to the Board of Library Trustees on Tuesday, May 3, 2016.
For fifteen years I have been actively involved in town government. I have served as a Town Meeting Member since 2001, and I am nearing the end of my fourth three-year term as a Library Trustee.
As one of your Library Trustees these past twelve years, I have contributed in a meaningful way:
- For the past two years, I have served as Chair of the Board, taking on the extra responsibilities and tasks that being chair necessitates. I have taken an active role in advocating for the library’s budget and especially in improving the library’s technological solutions for patrons. I also helped support our dynamic new library director as she took over and began her work to guide our library into the new century and beyond.
- For many years, I advocated to provide our patrons with Sunday afternoon library hours over the summer. In 2012, for the first time, the Coolidge Corner branch was open on Sundays, and those summer Sunday hours have stayed in place since.
- As chair of the Building Committee for many years, I had a leading role in the renovations of the Coolidge Corner and Putterham branch libraries. Currently, I have been working on the Coolidge Corner Building Project with the hope that sometime in the next few years we will be able to renovate or rebuild the Coolidge library to better serve your needs.
- I was instrumental in planning for and implementing the RFID circulation system, which debuted in 2010. The RFID system has made it easier and faster for library patrons to check out items. It has freed up staff to help patrons, and saved the town money in the long run.
- When the recession began, I encouraged the library to run programs on job hunting and to increase the services that we provide to our community.
- Every year, I have pushed for an increase in the materials budget. The materials budget had remained steady for several years before I was elected, and I’m pleased to report the budget has been increased every year since I have been on the Board.
- I also pushed for an extra staff position at the Coolidge Corner Branch Library to relieve congestion a few years ago.
- I have worked on Brookline Reads, which brings authors and artists from all over the country to our town and brings our residents together in stimulating discussions.
- My attendance has been excellent in my twelve years of attending monthly Board meetings.
As a parent of twin first-grade daughters, I have become even more attuned to the need for an excellent public library system in our community. In these difficult financial times, I have fought to keep our library on the cutting edge of technology.
I would like to continue my efforts on your behalf in making the Public Library of Brookline the best it can be.
I hope I can count on your vote on May 3.
Michael A. Burstein
An archive of the website from my successful 2013 campaign for Library Trustee can be found here.